Stephen Franzoi received his doctorate in social psychology from the University of California at Davis and then served as a postdoctoral fellow in the Self Program at Indiana University before joining the Marquette University faculty. He has served as assistant editor of Social Psychology Quarterly and associate editor of Social Problems. Over the years, Dr. Franzoi has discussed his research in such media outlets as the New York Times, USA Today, National Public Radio, and the Oprah Winfrey Show. He and Cheryl Figg are the proud parents of Amelia and Lillian. In his spare time, he enjoys relaxing with his family, bicycling, collecting antiques, playing bocce ball, and dabbling in regular and 3-D photography.
- Close Relationships
- Gender Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Person Perception
- Self and Identity
- Franzoi, S. L. (2010). Essentials of psychology (4th ed.).Cincinnati, OH: Atomic Dog Publishing.
- Franzoi, S. L. (2010). Psychology: A journey of discovery (4th ed.). Cincinnati, OH: Atomic Dog Publishing.
- Franzoi, S. L. (2006). Social psychology (4th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill.
- Davis, M. H., & Franzoi, S. L. (1986). Adolescent loneliness, self-disclosure, and private self-consciousness: A longitudinal investigation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 595-608.
- Franzoi, S. L. (2001). Is female body esteem shaped by benevolent sexism? Sex Roles, 44, 177-188.
- Franzoi, S. L. (1995). The body-as-object versus the body-as-process: Gender differences and gender considerations. Sex Roles, 33, 417-437.
- Franzoi, S. L. (1994). Further evidence of the reliability and validity of the body esteem scale. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 50, 237-239.
- Franzoi, S. L., Anderson, J., & Frommelt, S. (1990). Individual differences in males' perceptions of and reactions to thinning hair. Journal of Social Psychology, 130, 209-218.
- Franzoi, S. L., & Chang, Z. (2002). The body esteem of Hmong and Caucasian young adults. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 26, 89-91.
- Franzoi, S. L., & Davis, M. H. (1985). Adolescent self-disclosure and loneliness: Private self-consciousness and parental influences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 48, 768-780.
- Franzoi, S. L., Davis, M. H., & Markwiese, B. (1990). A motivational explanation of private self-consciousness differences. Journal of Personality, 58, 641-659.
- Franzoi, S. L., Davis, M. H., & Vasquez-Suson, K. A. (1994). Two social worlds: Social correlates and stability of adolescent status groups. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 67, 462-473.
- Franzoi, S. L., Davis, M. H., & Young, R. D. (1985). The effects of private self-consciousness and perspective-taking on satisfaction in close relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 48, 1584-1594.
- Franzoi, S. L., & Herzog, M. G. (1987). Judging physical attractiveness: What body aspects do we use? Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 134, 19-33.
- Franzoi, S. L., Kessenich, J. J., & Sugrue, P. A. (1989). Gender differences in the experience of body awareness: An experiential sampling study. Sex Roles, 21, 499-415.
- Introductory Psychology
- Psychology of Prejudice
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233
- Phone: (414) 288-1650
- Fax: (414) 288-5333